Another thought found in Pinterest.com
An adaptation from the original post I read by a bourbon for silvia’s 50 Reasons Not To Date A Graphic Designers and here’s my version (with a few edits and explanation) so you’ll somehow understand a family member, an officemate, a friend and probably your soon-to-date designer: 50 Things You Should Know About Graphic/Brand Designers.
1. We are weird people: But we don’t bite. And we don’t physically or verbally hurt people (well, most of the time… kidding!).
2. There are billions of us in the world, like colors on the screen of your computer: Bet you don’t know that, huh? :p
3. We analyze conversations in layers: As to what you are saying with perhaps what you intended to say.
4. We could spend the day assembling furniture from IKEA: Not that we don’t know how to but we study the furniture or structure again for possible learning which we perhaps can apply at work.
5. We drink and eat all kinds of weird stuff just because we like the packaging. <– This I can’t deny!!! Wait does this means we judge by how the packaging looks like? YES.
6. We (secretly) hate each other: Not all, just some to be explained by entry no. 12.
7. We usually come out the last out of the movies: because we have to see not just the full list of credits but also to check out if there are inserted clips at the end like what Pixar or Marvel Entertainment do. (Have you seen Thor? You understand what I mean then.)
8. We fuck up all the tables with their cutters: blame the clients that ask for mockups (kidding!)
9. We rather study the paisley pattern on your outfit than listen to what you have to say: not all the time, just when what you’re saying is all too much about you or when your topic is irrelevant or not interesting to us.
10. Our house is filled with magazines and whatever is out there that has drawings: of course, we have to update ourselves. The world is now our classroom.
11. If we give you an artwork or a photograph, you can’t tell if it is really an original or a copy: That’s how good we are. Hihihi :p
12. We can detect posers: And we can catch them when we start talking in technical by experience.
13. We do not know how to add and subtract, we just understand letters <– I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!! I make structural designs like gondolas, window displays, make boxes and bottle from 3D softwares plus make booth designs and layout as well and I do planograms. All those requires adding and subtracting numbers, even the basic use of the Pythagorean Theorem formula. We may not be engineers or physicists but we just don’t recognize numbers, we know and work on them!
14. We idolize people who nobody knows and speak of them as if they were our colleagues: Yes, we do. Because those people made something from design and art.
15. We take pictures almost daily: Some has those 360 Project, other just post something interesting (for us) that might be for others as well.
16. We ask your opinion about everything but we do whatever we want: It just so happen that we analyze and compare… and DECIDE.
17. Everything is left justified, right or center unless they arrive late: Either we just wanted everything laid out fine if not perfect or most of us are OCs😀
18. We hate Comic Sans with the same passion they love Helvetica: Use of the word “hate” is quite downplayed. We DESPISE Comic Sans!!!
19. We use the iPhone for everything, because everyone has one: This is not true. Not all have iPhones. Some has iPad, MacAir or Macbook Pro :p
20. You can not decorate the house without consulting them: True even though Interior Design is from a different college or degree course.
21. We steal street signs: Not all but there was a rumor that some guys from a certain Fine Arts school stole a statue of Ronald McDonald in one of it’s store chains.
22. We always carry our hands painted with something or cut from cutter or paper: We’re working, what do you expect?
23. We buy dolls unfinished for them to paint: It’s relaxing for some. A way too, for expressing once idea without being terrorized😉
24. Everything becomes something other than what it really is: cards as tickets, cards as … Well, what can we do? We’re creative… and we recycle😉
25. When arguing, you will be nicknamed like the OSX spinning wheel (not affectionately): It’s what we call code naming Ü
26. Do not know how to dress without consulting the Pantone book: Really?
27. We hate Excel: Oh hell YEAH!
28. We read comics: and graphic novels too!
29. We want to save the world only with a poster: well, there’s an upgrade now… include stickers as well :p
30. You will spend the day brainstorming: probably… or watching a movie or reruns of…
31. On vacation they will take you to countries that you do not know exist and have no beach: we like adventure and never before seen possible photo subjects :p
32. Museums are our second home: True. But each has their own preference.
33. We know more positions than the Kamasutra: Oh. Really. Now. It’s for you to know and for me to find out😉
34. We can’t go to a restaurant without secretly critiquing the menu design: A-MEN.
35. We listen to music you have never heard of.
36. We can´t cook a normal dish, they always have to experiment with new ingredients: Don’t worry. So far, there’s no recorded event of food poisoning by a designer, yet.
37. We read rare books: stories of children, Semiotics… in connection with no. 10, learning doesn’t stop after graduation. And we’d like to know OTHER stuff as well… stuff that interests us Ü
38. When we are going to tell you something, everyone has read it in their Facebook and Twitter: Can this be counted as (some) designer’s life is an open book? Hahaha.
39. We have own iPods before you knew they existed: We support, spread and live with good… no, BEST designs.
40. The orgasm we remember is when we heard that Adobe was acquiring Macromedia: Hmmm… on a personal note, I was actually not quite satisfied with what Adobe did to Freehand😦 They just killed it. Didn’t apply its simplicity (of use and tools) with Illustrator😦
41. We have our own shops just for us and there are the most expensive in the city: Privileged? Hahaha. It’s just like for the fashionistas, there’s Forever 21.
42. We want to spend all the money in the Apple Store: Go back to no. 39 Ü
43. You will never understand (or appreciate) our gifts: This breaks our hearts😦
44. We see ordinary objects and laugh: We’re weird, yes. Lovable and still understandable I suppose :p
45. You wake up in the middle of the night hearing them screaming “When is the deadline?” <– Has anyone experienced this?
46. We see CMYK and RGB like Neo sees the Matrix: It’s our world. CMYK and RGB are colors for those who don’t know what they are. There’s still Pantone, by the way.
47. We dream of the day nobody will make a single change to their designs: Very true!!!😀
48. We rather pay for a font (or an illustration or photo) than for a special birthday gift: We could use those for the gift we can make for you :p (though see 24 and 43)
49. We might sound like aliens to you when we talk to our fellow brand or graphic designers: Like Star Wars has Klingon and Elven to Lord of the Rings, we have our language which can be understood by fellow graphic or brand designers. It’s visual and/or technical.
50. We are always sleepy because we work 24/7: Either coffee’s not working on us anymore or because we are sugar-crashing from overdose of sweet treats😉